Come Change the World Through Education...with WUSC.
On campuses across Canada, students like you are the heart and soul of WUSC. You play a vital role in helping accomplish our goals to promote volunteerism, welcome students from abroad and foster global citizenship.
What is a Local Committee?
Active on more than 80 college and university campuses, WUSC's student-run Local Committees make up the largest network of student groups of its kind in Canada.
A WUSC Local Committee is a campus-based group of students, faculty and staff who share our belief in the power of education to change the world. They want to promote global understanding and cooperation and increase understanding of international development issues on campus and in the community.
What do they do?
As a Local Committee member, you join with others to create change on your campus and in your community by:
- Promoting and participating in unique overseas learning opportunities in developing countries
- Sponsoring student refugees to pursue their studies on Canadian campuses
- Educating and advocating for social change through activities and events that reach tens of thousands of young people every year.
Read the latest about activities on campus in Campus Connections, our newsletter by and for Local Committee members.
Join a Local Committee
Check to see if a Local Committee has already been established at your post-secondary institution then contact them for more information.
Start a Local Committee
No committee on your campus? Follow these steps to start your own!
- Identify a minimum of 5 members who are committed to holding at least one WUSC-related activity per year.
- Contact the YCE team to receive tips and materials.
- Fill out the registration form.
- Contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org
- Register as a recognized group/association on your campus.
- Set up an email address, get an office space, and read the Local Committee Handbook (coming soon).
- Recruit new members.
- Hold your first general meeting and start planning exciting activities on campus!
Need some funds to get started? Apply to the WUSC Catalyst Fund (up to $250 yearly per committee) by February 1, 2016.
Check out the Resources page to help you get started.
Join us in August for the Annual Uniterra Leadership Meeting.
This online tool enables your committee to stay up-to-date on the latest. Log in to My Committee to access your file, update your information, and keep us informed!
Student Refugee Program
Local Committees play a vital role for WUSC's Student Refugee Program. Your committee can provide a student refugee with the opportunity to pursue post-secondary education at your university or college.
Check out the SRP page for more information and to start a sponsoring committee!
Email us at email@example.com.